Re: [Phys-l] Equations (causal relationship)

The picture is great. Now I understand the previous description.

As for the following...

Yeah, so what?

The decomposition of zero net acceleration can be done many ways; my
chosen values a1 a2 a3 are not unique ... but in the same breath I
point out that the decomposition of zero net force can be done in many
ways; the values F1 F2 F3 are not unique.

I thought we were trying to demonstrate that the accelerations and forces had to be connected by m, not just any number. Yes, F1 F2 F3 are not unique, but once the forces are chosen I thought the goal was to show that the accelerations are then determined by F = ma. I now see that F(net) = 0 is a special case for which this can't be done. Duh!

Thinking out loud here... If your drawing is used for a case in which F(net) is not zero, then your red, green, blue stages cannot have arbitrary accelerations, but must have the F = ma relationship if the red stage and particle are to have the same acceleration.

So... if the red stage is moving relative to the particle, we adjust all the stages as necessary to stop the relative motion. No wait. Relative motion is okay if constant velocity. Rephrase... if the red stage is accelerating relative to the particle we adjust the accelerations of all the stages until the red stage is not accelerating relative to the particle.

But if the accelerations are matched and the velocities are not, the springs will stretch. So it seems your apparatus requires that the stages be adjusted so that the red stage has the same velocity as well as the same acceleration as the particle. We should be able to measure the accelerations even if the particle and our measuring device are moving in different inertial frames?

I guess it is the connection between the red stage and the particle (through the spring) that is the problem. Don't we just want to have your stages near enough to the particle (but not connected) so that we can observe when the red stage is not accelerating relative to the particle. Assuming we have the same number of stages as forces, and each is aligned with one of the forces, then by adjusting the stages until the accelerations are matched, we have measured the individual component accelerations. I see the light.

Michael D. Edmiston, Ph.D.
Professor of Physics and Chemistry
Bluffton University
Bluffton, OH 45817