[Phys-l] work/KE (was: Equations again)

JMGreen wrote:
I realize that the following questions are not nearly as sophisticated as the current thread, but a reply or two would be very helpful. In the work/energy theorem, W=delta E, should W be thought of as energy per se?

That's a quagmire.

1) First of all, the English is ambiguous. "The" work could be considered
_part_ of "the" energy ... but cannot by itself be considered "the" energy.

2) At a deeper level, there is AFAIK not any work/energy theorem that says
"W=delta E". The question probably refers to "the" work/KE theorem.

3) Even with that correction, we have problems, because there are various
definitions of KE (depending on lengthscale) and an even greater variety
of definitions of work.

Some discussion of points (2) and (3) can be found at
http://www.av8n.com/physics/kinetic-energy.htm
and references therein.