From: phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu
[mailto:phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu] On Behalf Of John Denker
Sent: Sunday, April 30, 2006 11:36 PM
To: Forum for Physics Educators
Subject: Re: [Phys-l] Equations (causal relationship)

Michael Edmiston wrote:

I think that if forces can exist without acceleration, but acceleration
cannot exist without forces, students will view the force as more
fundamental and/or the net forces can be the cause of acceleration. I
thinks it's hard to say that acceleration can be viewed as the cause of
forces when it is clear forces exist without acceleration.

That's just wrong physics.

As surely as a set of force vectors can sum to zero, a set of
acceleration vectors can add to zero.
F1 = m a1
F2 = m a2
F3 = m a3

(F1+F2+F3) = 0
(a1+a2+a3) = 0

The F=ma law does not give any preference to F relative to a.

I think the person who first mentioned this got pushed aside on a
technicality.

The point here is consistent application of the laws of physics.
I think that ranks quite a bit above a mere technicality.