Re: [Phys-l] Deltas in equations

The second problem, which is more insidious, is that students are not used to the fact that (delta-something)^2 is not the same thing as delta-(something^2).

The other day when I did a Snell's law example of light traveling from glass into air, I asked how many students think that

arcsin(sin(theta)/n) = theta/n?

Lots of hands shot up. -Carl

nitpickers' postscript: The angle theta was not small in the particular example of interest.
--
Carl E. Mungan, Asst Prof of Physics 410-293-6680 (O) -3729 (F)
Naval Academy Stop 9c, 572C Holloway Rd, Annapolis MD 21402-5002