Re: [Phys-l] Deltas in equations

You may wish to note in my post (under the subject Equations) when I mentioned that I wished textbooks would use delta more often, I used the example of the energy in a compressed/stretched spring...

delta-U(spring) = 1/2 k delta-(x^2)

The first problem some students run into if the book and professor are not in the habit of using delta when they should, is that students will miss a problem when the initial value of the variable in question is not zero. For example, time-initial is 3 s , time-final is 7 s, and they total miss the 3 and just plug the 7 into their equation.

The second problem, which is more insidious, is that students are not used to the fact that (delta-something)^2 is not the same thing as delta-(something^2).

Of course I am saddened by how many students still goof even after I have told them about it. Consider the problem... A spring is further compressed from 0.02 m of compression to 0.07 m of compression. What work is required to do this (or what is the change in spring potential energy)? Many students will do (0.05)^2 rather then [(0.07^2 - (0.02)^2] in spite of the fact that I do use delta all the time, and when teaching this particular case I not only warn them not to forget the initial compression, I also warn them that delta-(x^2) is what the equation is, not (delta-x)^2. I even say, "I am sad to predict that several of you will get this wrong on the test, and if you prove me wrong by everyone getting this correct on the test, I will bring home-made cookies to class as a celebration."

Of course I make my cookie promise a week or so before the test, and I don't go out of my way to remind them about the promise. I've been teaching this for 28 years and have probably made the promise in 20 of those 28 years. I have never had to make cookies.

It was precisely for the reason of confusing (delta-x)^2 and delta-(x^2) that I chose the spring-energy equation for my example in my post.

And then there was the student who, on the day of the promise, asked what kind of cookies would I bring. I said my favorite cookie is oatmeal and my second favorite is peanut butter. That student made the mistake on the exam. When she was leaving class on the day I handed back the exam, I said, "Melanie, you even asked what kind of cookies I would bring, and you still missed that spring problem." She replied, "Well I wouldn't have missed it if you had promised chocolate-chip cookies."

Michael D. Edmiston, Ph.D.
Professor of Physics and Chemistry
Bluffton University
Bluffton, OH 45817