[Phys-l] solving an energy equation

I am working on a problem involving a particle sliding frictionlessly on a particular shape of surface. An analysis using Newton's second law is very messy because it is complicated to write down the normal force. A Lagrangian analysis is straightforward and gives me a second-order D.E. I can solve numerically. But suppose I wanted to tackle this problem with students who haven't had Lagrange's equation yet.

Well, I can use energy conservation. BUT... I now have a first-order differential equation for the SQUARE of the speed. I can't see any way to tell Maple (or whatever your favorite mathematical software package may be) how to choose the correct sign for the square root in each segment of the motion.

Physically I imagine I step the solution forward until I reach a turning point and then I reverse the sign of velocity. But surely there must be some way to instruct Maple to do this.

To simplify the problem, imagine throwing a ball straight up and it then returns to your hand. I can write down F=ma, integrate once to get v(t), and again to get y(t). All clear. Alternatively I can re-express dv/dt as dv/dy * v and integrate to get v(y). But v isn't a single-valued function of y! There are two possible signs for v for a given y! The sign information has somehow been lost when I used the chain rule. How can I recover it *given* that my goal is to find y(t) starting from an equation for (dy/dt)^2?

I'm wondering how I've *ever* managed to solve mechanics problems using energy. Clearly I'm somehow inserting the correct sign information by hand, perhaps without even realizing I'm doing it. If I can do it, there should be a way to tell Maple how to do it, shouldn't there?

My brain is knotted up. Help! Carl
--
Carl E. Mungan, Asst Prof of Physics 410-293-6680 (O) -3729 (F)
Naval Academy Stop 9c, 572C Holloway Rd, Annapolis MD 21402-5002