Re: [Phys-l] fire starter from the sun

"I wanted to add one more piece of information that will impinge on the answer here, and Ludwik
[You mean bc?]

got this one just backwards. If one wishes to minimize spherical aberration in this application (assuming aspheric lenses are not among the unspecified "inequalities" in this problem), he should orient a plano-convex lens with its curved side toward the Sun, not its flat side. That is a much more sophisticated inequality that, I suppose, must be mentioned by the ETS to avoid legal bills. [I see Bernard Cleyet picked up these same points.]"

-----------

I remembered Nussbaum and Phillips writing min. SA occurs when the refraction is least and found J & W write when they are equal. either are intuitive, i.e. the less one does to the ray the less opportunity to introduce aberration.
I had this correct, but the application wrong for about 50 years. Yes flat side towards the spot is better.

Best is w/ double non equi-convex and the side towards the spot nearly plane.
As others have mentioned - great thought problem. But not for SAT.

Using my GE radiation Calculator I find crown glass absorbs a not insignificant amount of the incident sun's energy, i.e. about 13%.

bc

Leigh Palmer wrote:

On 17-Apr-06 Ludwik wrote:

cut

Leigh

I guess my exposition is rusty, Ludwik. I think I said exactly what you said I missed about absorption in the lens. At some absorptivity, given any fixed lens geometry, there must be a crossover from "short"

cut

I wanted to add one more piece of information that will impinge on the answer here, and Ludwik got this one just backwards. If one wishes to minimize spherical aberration in this application (assuming aspheric lenses are not among the unspecified "inequalities" in this problem), he should orient a plano-convex lens with its curved side toward the Sun, not its flat side. That is a much more sophisticated inequality that, I suppose, must be mentioned by the ETS to avoid legal bills. [I see Bernard Cleyet picked up these same points.]

So we see that Larry's simple question (in my opinion a very good question) leads to just the sort of discussion that we as teachers need to nurture among our students or, failing that, between ourselves and our students. I have only just scratched the surface of the discussion here. We still have to work on the fire starting problem at the receiving end of the radiation.

Leigh