Re: [Phys-l] fire starter from the sun

On 17-Apr-06 Ludwik wrote:

Another factor that has not been mentioned is absorption of a big fraction of solar energy in the glass itself. Assuming two lenses have the same diameter the one with shorter f would be thicker. To simplify, I am assuming that lenses are flat of the side of the sun. The lens with the longer f will transmit more solar energy.

Ludwik