Re: [Phys-l] Fresh Approach to the Accountability of Higher Education

Hi all-
On Wed, 5 Apr 2006, Richard Hake wrote (in part):

ABSTRACT: Scott Jaschik's report "Fresh Approach to Accountability"
on the higher-education assessment plans of the National Association
of State Universities and Land-Grant Colleges (NASULGC) is discussed,
along with the pro-NASULGC-plan response by Charles Miller, Chair of
the U.S. Dept. of Education's (USDE's) "Commission on the Future of
Higher Education," and the anti-NASULGC-plan response of Peg Miller,
Director of the National Forum on College-Level Learning (NFCLL). The
top-down summative-assessment approaches of the USDE, NASULGC, and
NFCLL are contrasted with bottom-up formative-assessment approach of
the physics-education reform effort.

This was much more than I want to know, right now, about the subject, but I do have a reaction:
I believe that the only meaningful test of the quality of an educational system is the performance of its graduates (the result of a
long-term, or "longitudinal", study). What, exactly, one studies is a meaningful question that can be debated at length.
The case for physics-teaching reform has never been made in a rational way. Traditional teaching clearly has great strengths, it has given us generations of physicists that have led the world - not all of them the product of American education. There are among us today, a substantial number of Soviet-trained physicists who are at the forefront of some of our research efforts. Many leading scientists, not just physicists, will tell you that they consider themselves largely self-taught, as to the fundamentals of their field.
Some of the literature on the subject seems to decry the lack
of physics, or scientific, knowledge in the general population. That consideration leads to a different set of questions about the desired educational goals.
Regards,
Jack