Re: [Phys-l] Fresh Approach to the Accountability of Higher Education

ABSTRACT: Scott Jaschik's report "Fresh Approach to Accountability" on the higher-education assessment plans of the National Association of State Universities and Land-Grant Colleges (NASULGC) is discussed, along with the pro-NASULGC-plan response by Charles Miller, Chair of the U.S. Dept. of Education's (USDE's) "Commission on the Future of Higher Education," and the anti-NASULGC-plan response of Peg Miller, Director of the National Forum on College-Level Learning (NFCLL). The top-down summative-assessment approaches of the USDE, NASULGC, and NFCLL are contrasted with bottom-up formative-assessment approach of the physics-education reform effort.

If you reply to this long (15 kB) post please don't hit the reply button unless you prune the copy of this post that may appear in your reply down to a few relevant lines, otherwise the entire already archived post may be needlessly resent to subscribers.
Scott Jaschik (2006) in a recent "Inside Higher Ed" report "Fresh Approach to Accountability," wrote [bracketed by lines "JJJJJJJJJ. . . ."; my inserts at ". . .[....]. . . "; my CAPS]:
JJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJ
An association of public research universities is studying the possibility of creating a new, voluntary system to define and measure the outcomes of undergraduate education, in a way that would allow for public comparisons of similar institutions.

The National Association of State Universities and Land-Grant Colleges . . .[NASULGC <http://www.nasulgc.org/>]. . . - a group of more than 200 public research universities, including flagship institutions in every state - is floating this idea as a federal panel on the future of higher education has become increasingly critical of the way the government and colleges assure their quality. Leaders of the Secretary of Education's Commission on the Future of Higher Education [see e.g., Lederman (2006a,b) and USDE (2005)] have for months been scaring colleges with talk of using new national tests to assure quality. . .[see e.g. Lederman (2006b)]. . . . And just last week, the panel infuriated accreditors when it released a report suggesting that the regional system of accrediting colleges be replaced . . .[see e.g. Lederman (2006c)]. . . with a national one.
Sally Mason, provost of Purdue University and chair of the NASULGC group that has worked on this idea, said that she sees the idea as a natural outgrowth of how she and her counterparts at other institutions are constantly considering how they can improve programs and their institutions.
A range of metrics - already collected in some form by most institutions - could be used in the system that universities may create, she said. MASON CITED DATA ON GRADUATION RATES, ADMISSIONS, APPLICATIONS, STUDENT DEMOGRAPHICS AND FACULTY DEMOGRAPHICS.
JJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJJ

Inside Higher Ed facilitates short online responses to their articles in a "Comments" section below each article. Two responses are of particular interest:

1. Charles Miller, former University of Texas regent, now Chair of the Dept. of Education's "Commission on the Future of Higher Education" wrote:

"Dr. McPherson and NASULGC are to be strongly commended for their leadership in developing an accountability system appropriate for the academic institutions involved and also for the students and the public. This effort has obviously been underway for some time. The public will surely be served even more as we are able to watch its development."