Re: [Phys-l] three-way bulb

At the moment CFLs (compact fluorescent lamps). By replacing nearly all our incans w/ CFLs, we halved * our e bill (really!). I suppose next will be LEDs. Already most new cars use them (xcpt head lamps), and in the space of a week all the traffik signal incans turned into leds a coupala years ago here in podunk Salinas.

* Algebra prob. for the kiddies: What proportion of the electrical energy consumption is lighting if the total is halved by replacing the lamps with 1/3 power (3X lumens per W)?

Yeah, I had more time for disassembly in elem. school than any later time.

bc, tho retired still little disassembly time.

Anthony Lapinski wrote:

Yes, parallel.

Actually, I make a junk list every year (electronic devices, etc.), get
many donations, and take many things apart. So in this sense, I AM an
experimentalist. Have many broken bulbs, too. I just haven't had the time
to take apart a three way bulb/socket or an electric blanket. Well,
actually, I DID take apart an electric blanket years ago. I kept the
elements but don't remember how they were actually wired.

I assume incandescent bulbs will be replaced by LED's or halogen bulbs?

Forum for Physics Educators <phys-l@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu> writes:

"... or in series with each other"

You mean parallel, don't you? The one's I have (and no longer use) are
labeled 30, 70, 100; 50, 100, 150; 100, 200, 300 [mogul base], etc.

AL, I suspect, is not an experimentalist; otherwise he'da taken one
apart. Often one may carefully prise the base off w/o breaking the bulb
using a thin screwdriver or knife. Better an old one using soldered (Cu
not Al) base. Otherwise cut the screw connection and scrape away the
bottom of the base connections. If this fails, break the bulb and
observe. Do it soon; it's a dying technology.

"You can observe a lot by watching." [Y. Berra]

bc, disassembler of Leclanchés, lamps, vacuum cleaners, radios, etc. by fourth grade.

Herb Gottlieb wrote:

The base of the bulb is divided into three parts which connect
to three terminals in the 3-way bulb socket. Rotating the switch of the 3-way socket connects either the 50W or 100W bulb filaments
separately, or in series with each other

Herb

On Tue, 04 Apr 2006 21:32:46 -0400 "Anthony Lapinski"