From: phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu
[mailto:phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu] On Behalf Of Bernard
Cleyet
Sent: Wednesday, April 05, 2006 8:02 AM
To: Forum for Physics Educators
Subject: Re: [Phys-l] three-way bulb

"... or in series with each other"

You mean parallel, don't you? The one's I have (and no longer use) are
labeled 30, 70, 100; 50, 100, 150; 100, 200, 300 [mogul base], etc.
AL, I suspect, is not an experimentalist; otherwise he'da taken one
apart. Often one may carefully prise the base off w/o breaking the bulb
using a thin screwdriver or knife. Better an old one using soldered (Cu
not Al) base. Otherwise cut the screw connection and scrape away the
bottom of the base connections. If this fails, break the bulb and
observe. Do it soon; it's a dying technology.

Herb Gottlieb wrote:

The base of the bulb is divided into three parts which connect
to three terminals in the 3-way bulb socket. Rotating the switch
of the 3-way socket connects either the 50W or 100W bulb filaments
separately, or in series with each other