Re: [Phys-l] laptops banned from class.

Physics is a highly visual subject. Like Hewitt, I teach concepts before
calculations. We teachers love to talk and write. It's difficult for most
students to figure out what's important in a lesson. Prepared notes give
them the option of following along or writing stuff down. Peer instruction
is also valuable -- have the students learn from each other. And most
physics textbooks are very hard to read/understand. And trying to cover
the entire book effectively is impossible. Less is more.

Forum for Physics Educators <phys-l@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu> writes:
Somewhere in this conversation we might want to address the need to
teach and reinforce what it means to "take good notes." If we provide
all the materials all the time, some students never develop the skill to
pay attention and identify what's important. This includes, in my mind,
the skill to take good laboratory notes and properly record data.

"Ask stupid questions.

If you don't ask, you remain stupid." - Alvan Feinstein

Dr. George Spagna
Chair, Physics Department
Randolph-Macon College
P.O. Box 5005