Re: [Phys-l] Magnetic force and work

Snyder, Tom wrote:

1) If the field has no azimuthal component, then the divergence expressed in cylindrical
coordinates is

div(B) = B_r/r + dB_r/dr + dB_x/dx

Here r is the radial distance from the x-axis. If the last term is zero, then we can still
satisfy div(B) = 0 by having B_r fall off inversely proportional to r for values of r near R (the
radius of the ring).

I stand corrected.

It would be an interesting exercise to design the pole-pieces
to produce such a field. The pole-pieces would definitely not
have a shape independent of x.

3) I'm not following your comment about the cyclotron.

A cyclotron orbit results when a point charge moves in a field that
is everywhere perpendicular to the direction of motion.

Standard case: motion in the xy plane.
Present case: motion in the rx cylinder. Unroll the cylinder and
you're back to the standard case.