From: phys-l-bounces@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu on behalf of John Denker
Sent: Fri 3/24/2006 12:48 PM
To: Forum for Physics Educators
Subject: Re: [Phys-l] Magnetic force and work

Snyder, Tom wrote:

Take a circular ring with a net positive charge uniformly spread around
the ring. Let the ring be rotating about an axis through the center of the
ring and perpendicular to the plane of the ring. Call this the x-axis. Now
add a time-independent magnetic field that has a radially outward
component at each element of the ring (as well as perhaps a component
parallel to the x-axis). By radial I mean perpendicular to the x-axis.
Such a field could be produced, for example, by a bar magnet placed along the
x-axis at some distance from the center of the ring with the north pole
closer to ring. However, to make the model simple, I imagine that the
radial component of the magnetic field is independent of x.

1) A B-field radially outward independent of x violates the Maxwell
equation del dot B = 0.

2) I assume the ring is not a conductor. To ensure that the charges
rotate with the ring, the ring must be nonconducting, or at least
piecewise nonconducting. Isolated metal beads on an insulating
carrier might do the job.

3) Isn't this just a thinly-disguised version of the cyclotron orbit
problem ... with a slightly different effective mass in the X direction
than in the theta direction?

While we're on the general topic, note that there is a vast literature
on railguns and other electromagnetic guns (amateur and professional).
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Railgun
http://www.google.com/search?q=railgun