Re: [Phys-l] solid state physics

Yet even the electron with "only one mass" has a different *effective* mass depending on the band structure. Since the light and heavy hole effective masses arise from motion in different directions within the crystal why doesn't the same thing happen to the electron?

Perhaps I have misunderstood the question. Are you referring to the fact that it is common for a valence band to be split into light and heavy classes, whereas this appears to be not true for the conduction band?

If so, I do not remember :-) and need to do some refresher reading.

Stefan Jeglinski