Re: [Phys-l] RC Discharge

Bob Sciamanda wrote:
As an illustration of this, I have scanned some scribbled solutions using various
conventions at
http://www.winbeam.com/~trebor/RC%20discharge.jpg

In each shown solution version, i indicates the direction of current defined
as positive, and the + sign shows which plate is defined to carry the charge q ( the
other plate carries -q). Both i and q may be negative or positive when these solutions are applied to particular initial conditions.

Given the accompanying conventions, every solution is valid for every initial condition, eg; for either sign of Qo, the initial charge on the specified plate.

I completely agree.

Let me just add that these versions are *not* smart-alecky
perversions of "the" standard circuit. All of these versions
arise naturally -- and very commonly -- in real-world circuits.

The existence of these versions does not address why they exist
or how to deal with them ... but that has been addressed in
other messages.