Re: [Phys-l] RC Discharge

I went back through all my posts to see if I had ever said, "the plate with the positive charge." I did not. I often said, "the positive plate," but that is something entirely different.

When I label a capacitor with plus and minus signs, I mean the same thing as when I label a resistor with plus and minus signs, or a battery with plus and minus signs... namely, the plus indicates the higher-potential side and the minus indicates the lower potential side.

For any of these circuit elements in an operating circuit, the + side could be above ground potential and the minus side could be below ground potential, but both sides could just as easily be below ground or both sides could just as easily be above ground.

When I say "positive plate" I mean the plate at higher potential. It may or may not have net positive charge. It may or may not be above ground potential.

Michael D. Edmiston, Ph.D.
Professor of Physics and Chemistry
Bluffton University
Bluffton, OH 45817