Re: [Phys-l] Insulation R-value

R is related to the reciprocal of k.

dQ/dt= k A (T1-T0) / L = A (T1-T0) / R

For a set of slabs (same R) , of conductivity Ki and thickness Xi, R = SUM( 1/KiXi )

Units of k are W/(mK) and common units of R are BTU per sq-ft per hour per F-deg,
which is why everyone drops the units and says R-19 or R-30, etc. )

Al Bachman

The book I am looking into first defines the heat conductivity , k. It
is used to calculate H ( energy lost per square meter and per second).
By definition,

H=k*dt/d

where d is the wall thickness and dt is the temperature difference on
its two sides. Thus the SI unit of k is J*m/C. The R of a material is
the same thing as k but in British units (BTU*ft/F). The conversion
factor is 6.93. I have never measured k but the definition suggests
what could be done.