From: Ludwik Kowalski <kowalskil@mail.montclair.edu>
To: PHYS-L Maillist <phys-l@carnot.physics.buffalo.edu>
Subject: Re: [Phys-l] Insulation R-value
Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2006 10:43:51 -0500

On Feb 17, 2006, at 9:43 AM, Dwight K. Souder wrote:

> Greetings everyone. I have a student who recently heard of homes being
> built with Styrofoam walls and another home with miniature wheat/straw
> bails. He's wanting to do a project to measure their R-value
> (Resistance to
> heat flow) of different materials. He's done some research on it, but
> hasn't come up with how the R-value is determined. I think I once saw
> that
> the R = ((delta)Fahrenheit x ft^2 x hours)/Btu...is this correct? The
> formula doesn't look right. Has anyone done a lab on this or knows
> how it
> is determined?

The book I am looking into first defines the heat conductivity , k. It
is used to calculate H ( energy lost per square meter and per second).
By definition,

H=k*dt/d

where d is the wall thickness and dt is the temperature difference on
its two sides. Thus the SI unit of k is J*m/C. The R of a material is
the same thing as k but in British units (BTU*ft/F). The conversion
factor is 6.93. I have never measured k but the definition suggests
what could be done.

a) A box containing a controllable electric source of heat is placed in
air whose temperature is constant.
b) Use the heater to establish the desired dt, for example, 30 C. Make
sure it remains constant (by adjusting the wattage of the inner
heater).
c) Measure that wattage, P. Suppose P=10 W. Then you know that 10 J of
heat is lost per second. Divide this by the area of walls to get H.
d) Calculate k (or R) from the known values of H, dt and d.

Ludwik Kowalski
Let the perfect not be the enemy of the good.