[Phys-l] PHYS-L Website certified by an unknown authority

Hi Folks,

I am surprised that the PHYS-L site is not certified by Verisign or some similar authority. While I would not under any circumstances include in PHYS-L correspondence personal information, I still find it troubling that the certificate is issued by the host machine of PHYS-L rather than an external authority. I am not at all an expert on computer security, but when my browser tells me that it has no guarantee that a site is genuine, I am strongly inclined to avoid that site. Should I be concerned about this?

Best wishes,
Jim

--
James J. Diamond, Jr., Ph.D.,
Professor of Chemistry, Chemistry Department,