Re: [Phys-l] test : fancy symbols, utf-8 encoding

I'm reading these in Yahoo Mail. None of the encoding
looks right to me. I also use FirstClass at school,
and none of the encoding looks correct there, either.
It only accepts plain text messages, and most of
John's message was simply rejected.

I cannot easily switch to another method. At our
school, we are not allowed to use POP mail or access
POP mail servers, so the only way I can get external
mail while at school is through Yahoo or similar
services.

Our computers are pretty locked down. They don't
really trust us at all not to screw things up.

I'm including John's message, so that you can see what
I can see.

Marc "Zeke" Kossover
The Jewish Community High School of the Bay

--- John Denker <jsd@av8n.com> wrote:

This is a test of the features of the phys-l mailer,
which was recently
upgraded from listserv(tm) to mailman(tm). This
message uses the utf-8
encoding, as discussed at e.g.

http://www.av8n.com/computer/htm/encoding.htm#sec-unicode

All of the following look nice in *my* mailer
(Mozilla) and will probably
look fine if you view the archives with a decent
browser (if earlier
tests are any guide).

The question is: Are there any mailers or systems
out there in common
use that cannot handle utf-8, and/or can't load a
font that has usable
glyphs at these codepoints? Please report what
works and what doesn't.
If you setup cannot handle utf-8, please invesigate
whether you can
upgrade to something that does. (Hint: Thunderbird
is free and reasonably
easy to use.) The goal is to build a consensus as
to which symbols can
(or cannot) be seen by phys-l subscribers.

James Clerk Maxwell :
∇ ⋅ E = 4π ρ
∇ × E + 1/c ∂B/∂t = 0
∇ ⋅ B = 0
∇ × B - 1/c ∂E/∂t = 4π c j

Erwin Rudolf Josef Alexander Schrödinger :
i ℏ ∂Ψ/∂t = H Ψ
q = 〈Ψ|Q|Ψ〉

Αρχιμηδης

Anders Jonas Ångström

Johannes Nicolaus Brønsted

Theodore von Kármán

Lórand von Eötvös

Николай Егорович Жуковский

à la mode Française :

la théorème de Léon Charles Thévenin

André Marie Ampère

Henri Poincaré

Henri Bénard

Guillaume de L'Hôpital

Miscellaneous:
a · b × c ≡ e ÷ f ± g
q ∝ v²
¼ ≤ ¾
§ †… ⋯

Quite a few more glyphs, which you can cut and paste
into your
messages if you wish:
http://www.av8n.com/computer/utf/font-chart.html