[Phys-L] Re: Physics Lab Manual 1938

Speaking of old texts, I have a 1914 Lab Manual authored by Millikan,
Gale, and Bishop *. The only interesting experiments I noticed are
"heat" content of home gas, and efficiency and cost of commercial gas
burners and kettles.

It's, as I experienced in fifties HS and Intro. college Physics,
directed towards home practical experience, "application to daily life",
e.g. above, and lung pressure, and pressure in gas mains. The trend
toward basic principles and theory came w/ sputnik (sixties)?

I won't give it up, but one may wish a/to copy for historical reason.
It doesn't fit Peter's criterion, as it's very cookbooky.

bc

* "A First course In Laboratory Physics -- For Secondary Schools"
Ginn & Company.

Peter Schoch wrote:

Hello,

I'd like to 'give it a shot.' I happen to collect old lab manuals
for the sole reason that many of the experiments are better than in
the new lab manuals, can be done/manufactured on a community college
budget, and offer excellent possibilities for THOUGHT. Rather than
the 'cookbook' methodology of many newer texts, these require the
students to think, reason, and synthesize concept and experimental
result.

If you find that compelling enough, I'd be more than happy to send
you the $10. Just send me a mailing address.

Thanks,
Peter Schoch

Sussex County Community College, Newton NJ