[Phys-L] Re: the plane truth

OK, I'll ask a question that that has bothered me for a bit.

Why does a wind tunnel test have to be in a tunnel?

For the big ones, I assume keeping the rain out would be one reason.
For the small ones, is a tunnel _really_ needed? I have had science
fair students spend so much time making a tunnel that they neglect
the experiment entirely. The tunnel causes nothing but problems in
making any device that measures lift or drag.

Finally I had a student try putting a card board collimator in front
of a box fan and we got the same results (weak) as with a tunnel(I
dread aerodynamics projects now). I suspect the lack of walls
probably improved the experiment. Assuming the region of laminar air
flow is larger than the object being tested, I cannot see why I need
a big tube.

Anyone with any insight?

Scott

Scott Goelzer