[Phys-L] Re: Stories from Harpers: Radioactive Boyscout

At 15:18 -0600 1/27/06, Jack Uretsky wrote:

I suggest that this story is in the same category as the story about the
kid who supposedly asked for the library book and was interviewed by the
FBI.

From what I understand, this story is true. I have heard it from
quite a few sources, and it is not reviewed on Snopes.com. The boy's
name is given and his home town--Detroit.

None of this is conclusive, but I have heard no one denounce the
story as untrue, and it does seem that the folks at Random House
would have done at least some rudimentary fact-checking before
publishing the book. Again, this is not conclusive, and the book
contains no photographs at all, so one can't draw an inference from
that.

I'll have to admit that I do not have conclusive evidence that the
story is true, but it is plausible and I have heard no one claiming
it isn't. Since the book says that he got a whole lot of information
by writing the Nuclear Regulatory Commission, I would think that if
it weren't true, that they would be out front claiming it not to be
so, and I haven't heard of anyone at the NRC taking exception to the
story.

Hugh
--

Hugh Haskell
<mailto:haskell@ncssm.edu>

(919) 467-7610

Never ask someone what computer they use. If they use a Mac, they
will tell you. If not, why embarrass them?
--Douglas Adams