[Phys-L] Re: rotating stuff (was: telescope mirrors)

Actually, I worked very briefly (as a grad student at UBC) for a
guy named Hickson who was building a liquid Hg telescope, see
<http://www.astro.ubc.ca/lmt/index.html>
and environs for the big brother of that one. Dan M

Quoting Anthony Lapinski <anthony_lapinski@PDS.ORG>:

I'm curious about something. I tell my (high school) astronomy
students
that reflecting telescopes are made by melting glass and then
rotating it
at high speed while the glass solidifies. The result is always a
parabolic
surface. How can one show, in simple terms (no calculus), that the
surface
of a spinning liquid is a parabola? I am also wondering what the
"limit"
would be as the spin rate becomes"very fast." Any help would be much
appreciated!

Dan MacIsaac, Assoc Professor, Physics, SUNY Buffalo State College
222 SCIE BSC 1300 Elmwood Ave, Buffalo NY 14222 716-878-3802
<macisadl@buffalostate.edu> <http://PhysicsEd.BuffaloState.edu>