[Phys-L] Re: "cutthroat" label

I am at a loss to understand why hard work is considered=20
"unfair competition", and success should only be due to prior=20
experience or accidents of birth. My conjecture is that the=20
prevailing ethic views talent as inherent, and thus out of=20
another's reach, while *anyone* can work hard--and thus if=20
anyone does, everyone else has no excuse. Laziness and=20
mediocrity as standards.

That is certainly part of the interpretation, but I think there is a =
little more.

Consider a faculty member who doesn't do any committe work, but inste=
ad concentrates soley on his own research. He may get ahead in the w=
ider circle of science, but that doesn't make him popular at his own =
institute among his immediate peers. In any group setting, passing o=
ff responsibilities & work to others can rightly lead to resentment. =
=20

Tim F=20