[Phys-L] Re: "cutthroat" label

At 04:06 PM 1/23/2006, Daniel S Price, you wrote:
//
I am at a loss to understand why hard work is considered
"unfair competition", and success should only be due to
prior experience or accidents of birth. My conjecture is
that the prevailing ethic views talent as inherent, and thus
out of another's reach, while *anyone* can work hard--
and thus if anyone does, everyone else has no excuse.
Laziness and mediocrity as standards.

This was also a private and "Public" school ethos that
disdained "scholarship" students or swots.

Brian Whatcott Altus OK Eureka!