[Phys-L] Re: Is Anyone doing Assessment during presentations/lectures of student understanding

Joe and John

Thanks for the replies.

John wrote to me offlist: Slightly modified to take up less space.
Can you please explain what this thread is about????
The Subject: line is uninformative.
The initial posting led me to believe the subject might be
"ranking tasks" which might be a topic worth discussing.
A later posting mentioned "cutting edge materials for
physics that Slatter, et al and Zeilik did for Astronomy"
but when I go to Zeilik's site
http://mzeilik.com/
he features a "diagnostic"
http://mzeilik.com/files/Adtver2.pdf
which does not involve ranking tasks and -- while mostly
harmless -- does not in any obvious way come anywhere near
the "cutting edge".

I am looking for leads to materials that can become part of the inclass time
I have with students.
Materials to help me assess what they have gained, what ideas they hold to
be true and provide
something for them to collectively 'chew on' within a collaborative
environment.

I was hoping someone had leads to materials that would help me see the
misconcepts still held and
then help the students to see them also. The CAPER materials were very
useful and the FLAG projects sets up processes for developing these kinds of
materials.

Joe, if I can find my copy of Peer Instruction I will look at that material,
thanks for the reminder.

Sorry I did not make it clear in the subject.

Sheron