[Phys-L] Re: Is Anyone?

The closest things to lecture tutorials might be McDermott tutorials, and
Interactive Lecture Demonstrations. Both are scored according to effort and
the course grade would then come from tests. Students are given a small
grade for handing in the prediction sheet for the ILDs and they keep the
results sheet. Of course one can not grade predictions right or wrong at
that stage, in addition it is the act of making a prediction that helps the
student learn.

McDermott tutorials are actually designed for small group work in a lab
room, but a few might be adaptable to small group work in a lecture format.
Both show good gain. The ILDs which are now published by Thornton and
Sokoloff are fairly easy to implement.

There is of course the Mazur Concep questions in his book "Peer
Instruction", but they are not as suitable for a conceptual course. One
must add more questions at lower levels.

I am convinced that neither ILDs nor Concep questions are as effective as
more hands on instruction when you are dealing with concrete operational
students. Since you are asking this for a conceptual course, one would
assume that you have a large proportion of concrete students for whom a
lecture format is much less appropriate than for formal operational
students.

John M. Clement
Houston, TX

I have used the "Ranking Task" documents in class and I have used the
Lecture-Tutorials in Astronomy also in class.

Like both.

What I am wondering about is there anyone working on Lecture-Tutorials
for Physics, especially Conceptual Physics?

Thanks in advance for any feedback,

Sheron Snyder
LCC
Art of Physics

"I can live with doubt and uncertainty and not knowing. I think it is=
much more interesting to live not knowing than to have answers that =
might be wrong." - Richard Feynman