[Phys-L] Re: electric vs. electrical

Robert Cohen wrote:
Does anyone know if there is a "proper" distinction between when you use
"electric" and when you use "electrical"?

To my ears, there is a slight difference in connotation.
-- electric covers things that are electrified or directly embody electricity
("electric field", "electric motor")
-- electrical covers things that indirectly deal with electricity
("electrical engineer")

It would sound funny to say "electric engineer".

Also: it is a moving target. In the olden days people said "electrical field"
but nowadays (for the last 100 years at least) "electric field" seems to be
the standard usage.

In particular, I'm wondering
whether it is "electric energy" or "electrical energy" and whether it
makes any difference.

I can't imagine it makes much difference. This is a close call.
If I were writing, I would probably say "electrical energy". If
I were editing, I would probably let electric/electrical energy
slide eee-ther way (or eye-ther way).