[Phys-L] Re: Quotation

Hello to the group--

I came across a very interesting quotation:

"Physics proves to us the impossibility of perpetual motion among visible,
tangible bodies, at the same time that it reveals to us a world where
perpetual motion is the rule--the world of molecules and atoms."
Burroughs, John
The Breath of Life
Chapter IX (p. 190)

I was just wondering how one would go about explaining why this statement
must be false.

I think the problem is the imprecision of the term "perpetual
motion." Perpetual motion among visible, tangible bodies is
absolutely possible - all I have to do is provide the correct impulse
(for example, fire a rocket into space, wait until the the fuel is
exhausted - it goes "forever").

"Perpetual motion" is usually a code word(s) for violation of the
second law of thermo. To my knowledge, neither visible, tangible
bodies, nor molecules and atoms, violate the second law of thermo.

Stefan Jeglinski