Re: [Phys-L] SciAM goof

This is not my reference. I just quoted the free available info from the
journal website, but I do not have access to the original article.

John M. Clement
Houston, TX

Curious, your reference is to toughness where J is appropriate instead
of strength where N is more appropriate (should be P). So combining
they got J force! The xptle description is a force xpt (actually
tensile? and should be N/m^2?) Until I read the article, after a kind
sole sent me an unbroken link, I thought they might be doing a charpy,
etc. test. Note they even mentioned notch (not).

bc, amateur engineer

John Clement wrote:

And forces do not propagate.

They should have egg on their faces. I have been unable to locate the
original article in Nature Materials, so perhaps this is a spoof
perpetrated
on the journal?

According to a search the original article is:
From brittle to ductile fracture of bone
Herwig Peterlik, Paul Roschger, Klaus Klaushofer, Peter Fratzl
SUMMARY: Toughness is crucial to the structural function of bone.
Usually,
the toughness of a material is not just determined by its composition,
but
by
CONTEXT: ...for example, polymers such as in wood, polymer-ceramic
particle
composites such as in bone, structures consisting almost entirely of
mineral
in many sea shells such as that...
Nature Materials (11 Dec 2005) Letters

However the article is not listed on the cover page for the journal. I
do
not have access to this journal so I can not comment on the original
article. Does anyone else have access.

Article URL:
<http://www.nature.com/nmat/journal/vaop/ncurrent/full/nmat1545.html>

John M. Clement
Houston, TX

Subject: Re: [Phys-L] SciAM goof

Very tasty. I'd like to know more about bone strength and breaking
properties for my students' "karate physics day" in mechanics, but
who can trust a popularized excerpt presenting gibberish like this?

Dan M

Dan MacIsaac, Associate Professor of Physics, SUNY-Buffalo State College
222SciBldg BSC, 1300 Elmwood Ave, Buffalo NY 14222 USA 716-878-3802
<macisadl@buffalostate.edu> <http://PhysicsEd.BuffaloState.edu>