From: von Philp<mailto:vonphilp@MYACTV.NET>=20
To: PHYS-L@LISTS.NAU.EDU<mailto:PHYS-L@LISTS.NAU.EDU>=20
Sent: Saturday, December 03, 2005 8:34 PM
Subject: Help with Fluids (Thanks!)....

Many thanks to John (and many others) who helped me sort this out.

Turns out I was on the right track. The additional weight of the f=
luid
pushing on the "V" shaped vessel walls is transmitted through the w=
alls to
the base, therefore the total force on the V-shaped base would natu=
rally be
greater than the other shapes, even though the force due to the flu=
id
pressure would indeed be the SAME on each base (given the equal wat=
er
heights and base area).

One thing that helped was to imagine an *empty* V-shaped vessel. I=
f I were
to put my hands inside and push normally on the sloped walls (as th=
e fluid
would do) that force would increase the force the base exerts on th=
e table,
but is independent of fluid pressures on the base, which is only du=
e to the
weight of the fluid above the base.

The total force on the table naturally equals the total weight of t=
he vessel
plus the fluid, which is different for each vessel. The force due =
to the
fluid pressure on the base would, in this problem, be the same. Wh=
ere I got
hung up was thinking that the force on the base due to the fluid pr=
essure
was then the same as the force the base exerted on the table.

I think I got it now. Thanks!
~ Ralph