[Phys-L] Re: Ambiguous Question

At 08:38 AM 11/18/2005, you wrote:
A big IF. High stakes testing has only one purpose. It is designed to
punish the workers to make them work harder. That strategy has never been
successful. You can't just increase the speed of the assembly line and
punish the workers when they can't handle it. This exactly what is
happening in education. The requirements are increasing without any regard
to what can be done, and the workers are not being trained to work better.
///
John M. Clement
Houston, TX

Hmmmm..I am a product of high-stakes testing.
I may already have mentioned (probably ad nauseam) that I experienced
a high stakes test at age 11 then called the eleven plus.

Passers attended selective high schools - then the only route to (state-paid)
university classes.

Without sympathizing with this system - let me say this: HSTesting does
more than "Punish workers".
It is a means to discriminate members of a population who exhibit some
desired quality. And it does this. Though we may not like the results, nor
even the qualities sought.

Brian Whatcott Altus OK Eureka!