[Phys-L] Re: Refilled Printer Ink Jet Cartridges OK?

1) Re-filled cartridges sold by a third party.

The only ones I have used are for my HP DeskJet printer at home. I have
used the ones re-filled by Staples, and they were just fine, both Black
ink and color ink. They seemed to last longer than the ones that I have
re-filled myself. The quality of the printing is just fine, for both
black and color.

2) Having your own empty cartridges re-filled by a third party.

I haven't tried this option.

3) Do-it-yourself refill kits.

I have used these extensively. I've found that the cartridges can only
be re-filled 3 times before they finally wear out. The ones that I have
re-filled myself don't seem to last as long as the new ones or the third
party re-filled ones. However, the ink is cheap. The ink for 3 refills
(black) cost me about $10, which is MUCH cheaper than buying 3 new HP
cartridges. I can't remember offhand how much the replacement color ink
cost, but it was still considerable less than 3 new HP cartridges.

If you take into consideration the fact that they don't last as long, I
still feel I'm saving money in the long run. If the re-filled cartridge
lasts 1/3 of the time the new cartridge lasts, I've used the equivalent
of one new cartridge for the cost of 1/3 of one.

The quality of the printing is fine, at least until the end of the third
refill.

Hope this helps,
Ruth Ann Levinson

Department of Physics