[Phys-L] Critical Phenomena: Feynman Vol. 2: Fig. 36-15

Regarding John Denker's e-mail of November 3 (relevant portion quoted
below):

John, thank you for your interesting post. Would you please help me with
a question. I looked at Feynman's figure 36-15 ("spontaneous
magnetization as a function of temperature for Nickel"). However, I did
not see a systematic variation. The first and seventh data points are on
the theoretical curve. The second through sixth data points are below the
curve, and the eighth through eleventh data points are above the curve.
Please explain.

Thank you,
Steven Ratliff

Part of original message quoted here:
Critical
phenomena provide some spectacularly relevant counterexamples. Over
many decades a lot of smart people (including the likes of Curie and
Landau) got snookered by this. See for example the discussion of figure
36-15 in Feynman volume II. RPF says the observations "fit the
theoretical
curve fairly well" but if you actually look at the figure you see a
systematic discrepancy -- a smallish discrepancy, but readily
perceptible.

Steven T. Ratliff
Institutional Researcher / Professor of Physics
Northwestern College
3003 Snelling Ave. N.
St. Paul, MN 55113-1598
U. S. A.