[Phys-L] Re: infinite sig. figs.

A Geiger counter showed 144 counts in a single measurement lasting one
minute. On that basis I am reporting that the true local background is
144, plus or minus 12, per minute. Should I round this to 100 in order
to obey a silly rule that somebody established? I do not think so. The
144 is the best possible estimate and I would report it as such.

Ludwik,

I don't believe I have ever heard anyone suggest a rule that would
support the type of rounding you describe here. On the basis of the
fact that it is a count subject to Poisson statistics, I can imagine
mustering some support for "1.4 x 10^2", but not "140", and never
"100".

--
John "Slo" Mallinckrodt

Professor of Physics, Cal Poly Pomona