[Phys-L] Re: student mathematical capability

I can add to this that at our CC, we are currently in the third year
of running a "Center for the Effective Teaching of Mathematics" for
K-8 teachers! Many of the 2- 6 grade teachers are so overwhelmed
teaching everything under the sun that math suffers. Also, since
most of them are math-phobic to one degree or another, this
exacerbates the problem.

There is nothing more frightening than watching a room full of 5th
grade teachers NOT be able to solve a simple fractions problem! When
posed with a word problem, I thought some would flee in terror,
exclaiming that they never liked or understood those in school.
After three 8 hour long sessions, the facilitator reports that most
feel reasonably sure of the basic concepts and could teach them;
however, none would say they are comfortable enough to teach a word
problem.

If they don't get it, they can't give it to the students; thus, the
cycle continues. We definitely need to fix the system at multiple
levels. Everyone just needs to realize how much it is going to take
to do it effectively, and then a commitment needs to be made and
maintained for the effort.

Peter Schoch