[Phys-L] Re: student mathematical capability

If you think kids can't master algebra (many kids, at least) in the
8th grade, you should see what we do in our county. We teach algebra
one to 7th graders and algebra 2 to 8th graders. Then the calculus
teacher wonders why her seniors can't do algebra when they come to
her. Doesn't help that geometry is taught to 9th graders and
statistics to 10th graders. Junior year is spent in what we call
analysis but the math department tells me is pre-calculus (I really
don't know what either term means). I get solutions like Ken
describes all the time. There is a lack of conceptual understanding
because we teach algebra so early and without reinforcement for the
next three or four years. But that's life in my county where all the
men are handsome, the women strong, and the children gifted. Just ask
the parents!

Steve Clark, Ph.D.