[Phys-L] Re: The Rigid Rotating Disk in Relativity

Nice summary of the issues that I didn't snip, see below.

Are you familiar with the AJP article:

Nonequivalence of a uniformly accelerating reference frame and a frame
at rest in a uniform gravitational field

Edward A. Desloge
Physics Department, Florida State University, Tallahassee, Florida
32306

(Received 21 October 1988; accepted 21 February 1989)

A general expression is obtained for the space-time interval between
neighboring events in a one-dimensional space in which it is possible to
set up a rigid reference frame. Particular expressions are then obtained
for the interval for the special cases of a rigid frame at rest in a
uniform gravitational field and a rigid frame uniformly accelerating in
field-free space. The two expressions are not equivalent and are used to
show why, how, and to what extent observations made in a rigid enclosure
at rest in a gravitational field are not equivalent to observations made
in a rigid enclosure that is uniformly accelerating in field-free space.
Two facts of particular interest that are demonstrated in the course of
the analysis are the following: (i) Two spatially separated particles
that are simultaneously released from rest and allowed to fall freely in
a uniform gravitational field will not remain at rest with respect to
one another. (ii) Uniformly accelerating reference frames and inertial
frames are the only possible one-dimensional rigid frames in flat
space-time. (c)1989 American Association of Physics Teachers

<snip>