[Phys-L] The argument from design

I fear this may be duplicative, but I did search my inbox for Paley and
found only one, Grace Paley.

I thought some would be curious to know the original, or at least the
first well formulated id argument. It's an analogy, and we all know
analogical arguments are suspect, furthermore, his argument is logically
flawed, as I was taught in Philosophy 1, back in the haunted fifties.
The Prof. did mention Bill didn't have to contend w/ Darwin.

Here's a page that quotes Bill and offers various authors' objections to
the "new" fine tuning argument, etc.

http://www.infidels.org/library/modern/theism/design.html

bc

P.s. Darwin was plagued by a bad stomach and a panic disorder which
became disabling soon after the Beagle. One of the foremore Darwin
Scholars, Hardin, has suggested this was due to religious conflict. He
came from a religious environment.

I find it interesting that a famous author and minister was a very early
Darwin defender. [The Ego and the World]

http://www.id.ucsb.edu/fscf/VERITAS/SPEAKERS/Hardin.html