[Phys-L] Energy is primary and fundamental???

I find myself wondering what has come over the list. Do we really want to
debate whether the fellow who smacks you on the nose has applied a
"force"? If there is anything real in his galaxy, that is real.

But "energy"??? For Pete's sake energy is an invention! It certainly
isn't "primary and fundamental" We wander around saying that "light" is
photons or maybe waves or maybe a beam. Also inventions. Yes photons got
Einstein a prize, but they are not "real" All these concepts are useful
-- They help us solve some practical problems.-- but they are not real.

If we try to teach that they are "primary and fundamental," we do our
students a great disservice..

Jim

Jim Green
mailto:JMGreen@sisna.com