[Phys-L] Re: fall cleanup: sig figs

And what you did with expensive technology the ear or rather ear & brain do
with ease. You can distinguish sound buried under noise when you listen to
it. Digital recordings artificially put in a small amount of noise by
dithering the lowest bit. As a result you can actually hear the music when
it is lower than that lowest bit. As I recall you can distinguish music
about 7 dB below the threshold. Early digital recordings sometimes lacked
this dither and as a result they did not sound as good as later ones.

John M. Clement
Houston, TX

And it is silly to penalize students for reporting results with one
or
two insignificant digits.

Indeed ... call them "guard digits" and encourage them.

Guard digits are your friends.

I appreciate your thoughts and have fought against the way sig figs
have
been taught for years but I am confused by your previous statement.
How can
digits that carry no significance (meaning I have no idea what the real
value in that place should be) guard anything?

Let me try to guess what john had in mind.
Two year ago I was participated in an experiment in which the signal
was totally covered by the background noise. The noise, is random and
nearly ten times larger than the signal. The signal would be barely
visible (in the single pulses mode of our digital scope) if it were ten
times larger. But we managed to measure the signal because it was not
random. It was a repetitive pulse (once every second). This was
possible because our scope also had the cumulative mode. In that mode
one hundred single pulses were superimposed (added to produce the sum).
In that sum the pulse became 100 times stronger and was sticking
clearly above the cumulative noise. Why did noise not increase by the
same factor as the signal? Because it was random (positive and negative
often cancel, partially.

Accumulating ten times longer we had even more impressive signal to
noise ratio (in the sum). I was very impressed. But I would not say
that this was a conversion of nonsignificant digits into significant
digits. It was nothing else but gaining precision by getting an average
value from many measurements.

Ludwik Kowalski
Let the perfect not be the enemy of the good.