From: "rlamont" <rlamont@POSTOFFICE.PROVIDENCE.EDU>
To: <PHYS-L@LISTS.NAU.EDU>
Sent: Wednesday, August 10, 2005 6:12 PM
Subject: Re: Energy is primary and fundamental? (was RE: First Day
Activities or Demos)

This approach seems too much like some form of "voodoo" to me.
Ascribing some poorly defined entity called "energy" to anything
that is thought of as change is too close to the pseudoscientific
babble we hear from people who believe in ESP, faith healing,
homeopathy, etc. If you have no concrete explanation for a
phenomena you say some form of "energy" is transferred from one
object to another.

Let's start here.. What exactly do you mean by the expression "form of
energy", and what would you propose we use other than the "poorly defined
entity called energy"?

Of course, in most cases, that energy cannot
be seen or sensed - or measured.

Could you provide a specific case?

If I was a student just encountering physics, I would be very
turned off on the subject if introduced to it with this
nonspecific mumbo jumbo.

May I point out that you would have been introduced to energy "mumbo jumbo"
at a much earlier age, and would probably feel comfortable about using the
terminology although your understanding of it is probably inaccurate, poorly
constructed, and extremely limited? This would NOT be your first exposure
to the terminology! Students come into my class absolutely certain that
when potential energy (whatever that is) decreases, kinetic energy (they
know what THAT is, although they don't recognize that there are different
modes of motion) must increase. That and that we need to "conserve energy"
(meaning save it up for the future).

So far all you've done is to criticized the Modeling approach to handling
the concept of energy. How about offering something concrete as a superior
alternative, and I'll see if I can pick some holes in it?

Bob at PC

Dan,
The Modeler's definition of energy is somewhat different from
the classic "energy is the capacity to do work", which requires
you to define work and, as a result, drag in the discussion of
force. Instead we have something on the order of "energy is the
capacity for change", so the emphasis is on the location(s) of
energy and the specific changes that occur as a result of an
energy increase or decrease. An energy change can result in
changes in motion (kinetic energy change), positioning
(potential energy change), arrangement (potential energy
change), etc. Working, radiation, and heating only come in at
the stage where one becomes concerned about HOW energy
transfers from one thing to another. All of this allows you to
discuss energy right away if you think it's appropriate.

Note that this approach pretty much requires that fields be
considered as "objects" rather than theoretical constructs,
since for the Modeler, energy always has to reside
"somewhere", and my personal approach to this is to
liken fields to springs or rubber bands whose geometry
changes as energy changes. That's a lot farther down the
road, of course, but it is a bridge one has to cross eventually
if one is to be consistent.