[Phys-L] Re: Ray Diagrams

I agree that students need to understand that the image is formed by
many rays other than just the so-called "principle rays" The work on
projecting light through a hole allows students to discuss how an
entire spot is formed, even though they can use geometry to predict the
size of the spot just using the rays on the edge. That leads nicely
into all the rays forming the image when one uses a lens.
The principle rays are important because we can predict accurately,
without complicated calculations, what their path is. That is why they
are important...then of course you can use geometry to do some
quantitative calculations. So it is not the geometry piece, but rather
knowing the paths that is important.

cheers,

joe