[Phys-L] Re: unfamiliar notation

On 06/14/05 14:32, Spagna Jr., George wrote:
I just finished reading a strange little paper in which the author used
the lower case Greek "eta" where I would have used "h-bar." In fact, I
only figured out what the author meant when the same notation was used
in a more familiar context, i.e. Schroedinger's equation, which I found
particularly annoying.

My question for the list is, is this standard notation somewhere? I
have never seen it before.

I've never seen it.

a) Authors should define their notation and terminology
(unless it is reeeeally standard, and maybe even then).

b) Without detracting from item (a), if you're talking
about a web document, I can kinda understand why the
author would use a nonstandard symbol. Most browsers
can't (or won't) display a nice hbar. The symbol is
not a standard HTML entity. It exists as a unicode
entity, but most browser/OS combinations won't render
it properly. To test your browser go to
http://www.av8n.com/computer/utf/font-chart.html
and search for "planck".

c) The best workaround I know of is to use h' (h prime)
to represent hbar in web documents. If anybody knows of
something better, please speak up.