[Phys-L] unfamiliar notation

I just finished reading a strange little paper in which the author used
the lower case Greek "eta" where I would have used "h-bar." In fact, I
only figured out what the author meant when the same notation was used
in a more familiar context, i.e. Schroedinger's equation, which I found
particularly annoying.

My question for the list is, is this standard notation somewhere? I
have never seen it before.

"I am a theoretical physicist, and it is
common knowledge that theoretical
physicists often start out as amateur
theologians." - Bryce DeWitt

Dr. George Spagna