[Phys-L] Online homework, quiz, and tutoring system

From Tom Dickinson:
-------------------------

Gentlepeople:

Over the past couple of years, we have been developing an online homework,
quiz, and tutoring system which we intend to release as Open Software. The
system allows an instructor to create online quizzes, stressing
equation-based answers. Assignments are automatically graded, and the
students may see the results of their work immediately or at a predetermined
time.

Currently, we are working on the automated grading of one-sentence answers
to conceptual problems, which evaluate students' knowledge more thoroughly
than multiple-choice or numerical-response questions.

In order to adequately test our implementation, many sample responses are
desired. We therefore need and are requesting volunteers for answering
first-year college-level physics problems. After each question is answered
we will provide the “correct” answer. Of course, if there are differences
of opinions, we would like to discuss it with you.

Please reply to me (jtd@wsu.edu) if you and/or your students are interested
in helping us by answering concept problems that we periodically will send
to you over the next few months.

Thanks,

Tom Dickinson
Professor of Physics