[Phys-L] Re: Whither Introductory Physics Labs? (was Lab Reports - was Human Error)

At 11:44 PM 5/9/2005, James McLean, you wrote:
John Clement wrote:
Generally students who do well can discuss and tell you what they
understand. So I do see a correlation between high evaluation scores and
other indicators. But more to the point, these tests were developed using
other written and verbal evaluations. They were developed using interview
protocols, so they are certainly fairly accurate.
///
Does this strike anyone else as internally inconsistent?
* The basis for the validity of "these tests" is detailed interviews, etc.
///
Dr. James McLean

Hmmm.... I see a certain resistance to a scientific, experiment based
approach to physics education testing. And where it would be impolitic
to attack a scientific approach directly, one can always attack
the validity of the objective test instruments advocated.

So I'll say it again: if you believe in the scientific methods you use for
physics, you need to measure the effects of teaching scientifically.
You measure results by valid measures.

If you go along with this, then at the next level: what constitutes validity?
you can take this to the bank, in my view: the gold measure is not
established
by talking to subjects alone.

For example.
How do you validate auto mechanic training/education?

By having a subject fix or replace an auto transmission, an engine, or a a
wish bone
suspension, and having the vehicle perform satisfactorily, thereafter.

How do you validate brain surgeon training/education?
By having the subject remove a tumor, or apply a radical resection to a
subject with
intractable behavioral deficits following an accident, and checking the
survival rates
and social/physical adjustment, thereafter.

How do you validate engineer training/education?
You will easily conceive operational tests that establish the baseline.

So now, the big question: how do you validate physics education?

I can't tell you that, but you can, if you will apply the usual insights.

Brian Whatcott Altus OK Eureka!